the Buratti-Lanzarotti case, Migry Zur Campanile's version
Micha Keijzers
2005-07-06 21:23:46 UTC
To all interested,

This was posted on our bridge club's web forum.

Kind regards, Micha
Nijmegen, Netherlands

[...]
Thanks for posting that, Migry.

Bob
Vladimir
Thx Micha, and Migry
Peter Clinch
2005-07-07 14:32:29 UTC
Post by Micha Keijzers
To all interested,
This was posted on our bridge club's web forum.
** Certainly interesting, thanks.
Post by Micha Keijzers
** Well , at least a noble effort at eliminating opinion.
Post by Micha Keijzers
At the end of the match me and Michael Barel went to Bocchi and told him
the story, he laughed and said that probably Buratti saw Roll's cards.
** several accounts have involved Bocchi laughing, shouting "stupido"
etc. Why is any of this funny?
Post by Micha Keijzers
Mr Ortensi, who for the record came to us and APOLOGIZED afterwards said
in their defense that there was not a single Italian pair cheating in
the last 30 years, at which Bill Pencharz replied by asking how come BL
ended up playing for Spain :)
** Well, ok - but wasn't Pencharz on the Appeals Committee? It could be
argued that the comment, though heartfelt, might not have been
especially appropriate.
Post by Micha Keijzers
And i am quite positive that if this wd have been an isolate incident or
if BL could come up with a better explanation, like the one they managed
to find now
** I may have missed something here - is there a new version of events
in circulation? Presumably based on the questions after the ace of
hearts lead - this is the only conceivable reported event which could
legitimately have affected a bridge decision in the initial report.

Peter.
New York, NY.
l***@sanfranmail.com
2005-07-07 15:57:02 UTC
Post by Peter Clinch
Post by Micha Keijzers
At the end of the match me and Michael Barel went to Bocchi and told him
the story, he laughed and said that probably Buratti saw Roll's cards.
** several accounts have involved Bocchi laughing, shouting "stupido"
etc. Why is any of this funny?
I could not agree with you more about this, Peter. The first
time we read about Bocchi "laughing" was disturbing enough, but
now we hear from another source. There is nothing funny about
this.

Not only is this not funny, but if Ferrero as a member of the same
team said the things he is reported to have said about B-L such
as calling them robbers and saying they had been cheating for 20
years, then what about *his* ethics playing on the same team with
them?

Maybe the Italians have been laughing at the rest of the world
for how "stupido" we all were in taking so long to oust this pair.

After all, it was reported by Migry that even Dano DeFalco was
congratulting people for getting the pair. If people like Bocchi,
Ferrero, and De Falco have "known" they were cheating, then why
was it permitted to let them continue for years?

Disturbing indeed.

Cheers -

Lindy
Ron Johnson
2005-07-07 17:00:09 UTC
Post by l***@sanfranmail.com
After all, it was reported by Migry that even Dano DeFalco was
congratulting people for getting the pair. If people like Bocchi,
Ferrero, and De Falco have "known" they were cheating, then why
was it permitted to let them continue for years?
This gets back to Kaplan's point about being unable to cheat
against an expert without his being aware.

Assuming the cheating was a tad subtler than the current
incident, there's not a heck of a lot any given player can
do. Of course if you have anything tangible you can report
it, but if all you've got is your table feel then what?

Tobias Stone felt he was being cheated by the Blue Team, but
couldn't produce any evidence to back up his feeling and ended
up suspended for his comments.
RNJ
Bob Lipton
2005-07-07 18:59:30 UTC
Post by Ron Johnson
Post by l***@sanfranmail.com
After all, it was reported by Migry that even Dano DeFalco was
congratulting people for getting the pair. If people like Bocchi,
Ferrero, and De Falco have "known" they were cheating, then why
was it permitted to let them continue for years?
This gets back to Kaplan's point about being unable to cheat
against an expert without his being aware.
Assuming the cheating was a tad subtler than the current
incident, there's not a heck of a lot any given player can
do. Of course if you have anything tangible you can report
it, but if all you've got is your table feel then what?
Tobias Stone felt he was being cheated by the Blue Team, but
couldn't produce any evidence to back up his feeling and ended
up suspended for his comments.
Mr. Stone was famous for having a big mouth and offending everyone.

Bob
kingsman
2005-07-07 19:34:18 UTC
I would like to share a story I once heard Tobias Stone tell after a
tournament in New York some 40 years ago. Please do not write me this
or that about Mr. Stone, a truly colorful character. The story has the
characteristics of an urban legend; true or not, it shows a director's
creative thinking; hope you enjoy.

Stone says he was playing in an international match (against the
Italians), and the opponents reached an aggressive four-spade contract,
which turned out to hinge on a two-way guess for the queen of spades.
As is their wont, the Italians guessed correctly.

Stone, who held the queen of spades, turned the queen of spades upward
, and inserted the card into his hand, and sent it into the other room,
where the card became visible when the Italian player picked up his
cards.

Your ruling, proof of the intent not ascertainable?

According to Stone, the director in charge (perhaps Harry Goldwater)
told the players that the Board had been fouled, and took it away, with
the board having to be replayed. He held it away for about half an
hour, and returned the very same board.
jrw
2005-07-07 17:20:08 UTC
It depends on how Bocchi laughed. He might have laughed in a manner
'bloody typical of this pair to do something now'. In my view he
behaved very well. He did not try to defend the indefensible, and they
had little chance after he described the play as 'stupido'. I think
Ferrero is slightly more culpable, as the team manager he has to take
some of the responsibility. DeFalco as far as I know refused to play
in the same team with the accused. But you need real evidence.

Players can have an ethical cloud over them for years, with no real
proof, they still get into teams because you are forced to give them
the benefit of the doubt. There has always been whispers around the
partnership of Buratti and Lanzarotti, and their migration to Spain has
always been seen in a suspicious light.
Thomas Dehn
2005-07-07 18:41:21 UTC
Post by l***@sanfranmail.com
After all, it was reported by Migry that even Dano DeFalco was
congratulting people for getting the pair. If people like Bocchi,
Ferrero, and De Falco have "known" they were cheating, then why
was it permitted to let them continue for years?
Its not that easy. For example, many countries have qualification
events for international tournaments. If the cheating pair qualifies,
they will play - as long as they have not been found guilty of
cheating.

There also is some TD and AC cowardize. I have
watched several incidents where the TD resp. the AC should
simply have disqualified an offending pair. But they usually
just give them a VP or MP penalty. The national authorities
then say something like "we cannot ban this pair for their actions
as they were not even disqualified from the event".

Thomas
Andrew Gumperz
2005-07-07 19:58:33 UTC
Post by l***@sanfranmail.com
If people like Bocchi,
Ferrero, and De Falco have "known" they were cheating, then why
was it permitted to let them continue for years?
There is a big difference between "knowing" and proving. And "know" may
be the wrong verb to use. "Strongly suspect" is probably more accurate.

To ban a pair, you need demonstrable proof of their malfeasance. It
usually takes a long time to get that proof--a lot longer than it takes
to develop suspicions and rumors. A pair of the caliber of B&L does not
cheat on every board. They pull it out only when they need an extra
edge. Further they are very skilled players, so it is difficult to sort
out the times when they played well legitimately and when they used
their extra edge. Most bridge federations don't have the resources or
the will to secretly monitor such players for months or years in the
hopes of catching them when they slip up.

Even if bridge organizations were to develop an effective system of
catching cheaters and the will to use it aggressively, we will still
have to watch the cheaters win trophies for some time before evidence
accumulates to ban them because it is not easy to document cheating.

Your point about the ethics of Ferraro and Bocchi playing as their
teammates is another matter. Yes, it shows dubious ethics to play with
a pair who you think of as cheaters. But it is a practical world. If
the boss wants to hire this pair, and you might lose a big paycheck by
going against her, very few players of any nationality are willing to
say, "Non con questi ladri."

Andrew
Bob Lipton