The pairs double
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-24 22:42:15 UTC
Back in my university days, where I learnt to play bridge, and entered into the world of duplicate bridge, I was introduced to the concept of the pairs double. This is a penalty double in a competitive auction where it looks like the opponents have overstretched themselves in competing the parstscore, and your side doubles hoping for the magic +200 if they are vulnerable. I had the opportunity to try this out on Friday evening.

Game all:

I held as East:

JT
K85
Q963
AT84

N E S W
1NT* 2C**
2S 2NT*** 3S P
P X AP

* 12-14
** Hearts and a minor 5-4
*** What is the minor?

When 3S was bid, I felt that as partner had enough to overcall at the two level and I held a balanced 10 count with scattered values, we have been robbed of a part score, so punted a penalty double hoping for +200.

I was wrong on both counts. It was not long before NS were collecting +1130. The full deal:

Q9732
52
QJ962
A4 JT
JT743 K85
KJT7 Q963
75 AT84
K865
A962
A84
K3

If I keep my mouth shut and leave them too it, we can get a near average board. Three out of eight pairs bid and made 4S, the rest were in 2S, all making 10 or 11 tricks.

Pairs double: The excuse made when you double a cold partscore into game.
Douglas Newlands
2019-08-25 00:00:28 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
The 2C bid is not good; maybe 2 tricks; trump suit unplayable if no fit.
North may have the rest of the pack and you are vulnerable.
Imagine the North and East hands interchanged to see why: they will bid
and make 1NT and you will go for a couple of hundred undoubled and a
bottom.

A pairs night consists of about 25 puzzles worth 4% each.
If you get 0% on a board you cannot catch up because you cannot get
8% on a subsequent board. Be happy to go with the flock unless you have
a clear action which gives the chance of a better number on the score
sheet. That isn't some smart ass comment about the score. Bridge, and
pairs particularly, is not about bidding and making contracts, it's
about trying to manipulate the number that goes on the score sheet.
2C here has no clear way to win.

doug
Co Wiersma
2019-08-25 00:27:01 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
You have a (known) 9-card fit
That should have stopped you from trying this pairs-double

Co Wiersma
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-25 09:45:22 UTC
Post by Co Wiersma
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
We don't have a guarenteed 9 card fit. Partner has to have 5+ diamonds or 6+ hearts for that, or 5-5+ with diamonds. I maybe should have resisted the urge because we might have a double fit, which have poor defensive potential.

I admit I misread the situation thinking we were being robbed, when in reality it was their hand. This pair is notorious for bidding on anything, and I have frequently been duffed up by defending their contract when almost everyone else has been playing in something our way. I'm trying to be a bit more aggressive with close doubles, because pairs seem to be (more) aggressive against us on average (my perception)*, and it is said that if you don't occasionally concede a doubled contract, you are not doubling enough.

*I don't want to be that player everyone loves to play against because they think they can do what they like and it will work.
Co Wiersma
2019-08-25 14:37:42 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by Co Wiersma
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
Oops , I did so misread the auction sorry

Still the principle stays the same
You have guaranteed a double fit
There is no reason to think that they do not have the points and the fit
to bid 3S
So there is no reason for the pairs-gamble

Co Wiersma
Will in New Haven
2019-08-25 16:22:44 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
If your partner's 2C bid is up to the standard you are playing, your double is not reasonable. At pairs, it may be ok to play this very light intervention but then you can't double and competing is dangerous.
If it isn't, if you require more, then it is your partner's doing. Partner knows you didn't double 2S or pass; you were willing to go another level. If partner has a bit more in high cards, you should beat 3S. If partner has a lot of shape, (s)he should pull the double. With neither, the 2C bid could be considered unsound.
Will in Deerfield Beach
judyorcarl@verizon.net
2019-08-25 19:19:39 UTC
Post by Will in New Haven
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
The 2C bid was an abomination. BUT. It had won the board, so long as east-west KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT afterward.

Carl
Will in New Haven
2019-08-26 04:47:57 UTC
Post by ***@verizon.net
Post by Will in New Haven
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
Oh, I agree. Pairs where one player (or maybe either one) can take an action that isn't sound and depend on partner to pull in his horns win some. But they lose some too, because sometimes you _are_ being robbed and need to double or take some other action.
Will in Deerfield Beach
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-26 09:28:55 UTC
Post by Will in New Haven
Post by ***@verizon.net
Post by Will in New Haven
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
That is somewhat my thinking. Sometimes a poor bid can be justified by saying "if partner hadn't done XYZ it would have worked", but the problem is if bid distorts ones hand, it can encourage partner to take the losing action. The problem here is partner made a very aggressive Astro bid, I was expecting more in HCP and more help in defence, and because of the type of hand I pictured opposite, I thought the opponents were taking liberties, as they are a pair that regularly do (their final score can swing from one extreme to the other week to week).

You wouldn't believe the sort of bids I see against me these days, and I can't or don't find a way to punish them, so they get away with it, and keep doing it. Frustration may have played a part in this case, though the opponents bidding this time was reasonable.