Using GIB with convention cards
Frank Tiernan
2019-10-14 16:59:40 UTC
Does anyone have information on interfacing the GIB bridge software with convention cards?

The following link gives information on bidding and card play: http://orig.gibware.com/engine.txt but nothing on convention card entry.

The old commercial version had some sort of convention care entry and interface so it seems that something probably did exist at some point.

I am interested because I would like to use it in a non-commercial application allowing partners to replay club hands for learning purposes.
John Hall
2019-10-15 09:52:37 UTC
Post by Frank Tiernan
Does anyone have information on interfacing the GIB bridge software with convention cards?
http://orig.gibware.com/engine.txt but nothing on convention card
entry.
Thanks for that link, which I wasn't aware of.
Post by Frank Tiernan
The old commercial version had some sort of convention care entry and
interface so it seems that something probably did exist at some point.
<snip>

I had the commercial version, but I don't recall anything beyond a
fairly limited choice of bidding systems and conventions. But then my
memory is rubbish these days, so I might be wrong.
--
John Hall
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come
Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
KWSchneider
2019-10-15 15:45:24 UTC
I used to know, and can probably resurrect the method. I’m away from home (I still work for a living) so email me at schneiderdotkurtatcomcastdotnet and keep reminding. I have done a lot of work with GIB over the past 20 years.
nrford100
2019-10-16 01:41:49 UTC
Post by Frank Tiernan
Does anyone have information on interfacing the GIB bridge software with convention cards?
The following link gives information on bidding and card play: http://orig.gibware.com/engine.txt but nothing on convention card entry.
The old commercial version had some sort of convention care entry and interface so it seems that something probably did exist at some point.
I am interested because I would like to use it in a non-commercial application allowing partners to replay club hands for learning purposes.
I have written a bridge bidding module (BidBase) whose primary purpose was to allow bridge programmers to add the module to their programs, such as GIB, to do the bidding.

The bidding criteria are stored in a database which anyone can modify to fix errors, add new conventions, etc. Unlike script-based bidders which are very complicated to use and debug, BidBase is modified by filling in blanks.

It's free to use, but the problem is that the programming language with which I started writing it 2+ decades ago (VB6) is no longer supported by Microsoft, so I have not been able to create an installation program for it.

For more info, see www.aeyec.com/BidBase.