Info on Bourke Relay
Mauro Casadei
2005-02-20 13:15:32 UTC
Hi all,
I am getting interested in the "Bourke Relay" and its variation, and I am
trying to gather the best possoible description.

So far I have found the following descriptions:

-from the RGB archive, this post by Chris Ryall:
http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/~heng/personal/conv/slbrk.txt

- from the Bridge World web site, this article by Jeff Rubens on "TSAR", a
variation of Bourke relay:
http://www.bridgeworld.com/default.asp?d=esoterica&f=TSAR.html

However I would like to collect more descriptions, if possible, and I am
looking for anything else might have been publkished either online, or on
hardcopy, ar in any other possible form (verious Forums threads etc.).

So I would greatly appreciate any suggestion on available material on the
Bourke relay, given the sources I found in my research. So far, I could find
out that there are:

1) an original paper by Bourke, published on the July 1996 issue of The
Bridge World; do you know if I can buy an electronic format, or if I have to
buy the hardcopy (long overseas delivery time to Italy, additional shipment
fees, bla bla... all feasible, but annoying :( )

2) Tournament ACOL (David Bird & Tim Bourke, 1995) : in the description of
this book, they mention the Bourke Relay.
The questions on this book are the following:

Question 1
I am not an ACOL player: I play 5 card major 2/1 and/or Precision according
to partnership.
So, if I purchased "Tournament ACOL ", my main interest would be the Bourke
relay.
Is the discussion of bourke relay worth the price of the book ? (see also
question 2)
Or, are there are good bidding tools translateable into other systems ?

Question 2
is the Bourke relay discussed in depth or is it just mentioned "en passant"
? I have found that in many commercial books, the most sopisticated methods
are just mentioned briefly, and not discussed in detail, in order not to
scare intermediate reader, and in order to spare pages to discuss other
more mundane situations.
As a consequences, most often, advanced methods are dealt more superficially
in commercial books than in articles in specialized magazines such as The
Bridge World.

------------------

Thanks all !

Mauro
l***@flash.net
2005-02-21 14:12:56 UTC
Post by Mauro Casadei
Hi all,
I am getting interested in the "Bourke Relay" and its variation, and I am
trying to gather the best possoible description.
[snip]
Post by Mauro Casadei
this book, they mention the Bourke Relay.
Question 1 [snip]
Post by Mauro Casadei
Question 2
is the Bourke relay discussed in depth or is it just mentioned "en
passant"?
[snip]
Post by Mauro Casadei
Mauro
Mauro, I have both publications. Tournament ACOL has Chapter 5, pg.
49-57 on the Bourke Relay with 15 example hands (9 lbs).

POINTS TO REMEMBER

1. When the opener makes a simple rebid in his suit, a rebid by
responder in the next available unbid suit is the Bourke Relay, an
artificial call, similar to 'fourth suit forcing'. It is forcing to
game and asks opener to describe his hand further.

2. Bids by responder which would otherwise have been limit bids become
forcing when preceded by the Bourke Relay.

3. When opener rebids his suit and responder jumps in a new suit (a
sequence such as 1C - 1s - 2c - 3d), this is a splinter bid.

4. After a jump rebid in a minor (a start such as 1C - 1S - 3C) a rebid
of 3D or 3H by responder should be treated intially as a NT probe.
After a jump rebid in a major (1S - 2C - 3S) a new suit by responder is
a cue bid.

How big is the downside?

When the opening is in a minor three sequences involve rebids formerly
available to responder with 6-9 points:

a) 1C - 1S - 2C - 2D
B) 1C - 1H - 2C - 2D
c) 1D - 1S - 2D - 2H

Thus, responder will not bid again on 8-9 hands sith a 5M

The main loss is when responder has limit-bid strength and is not
strong enough for the Bourke Relay: now responder must choose between
2NT (limit) or raise openers rebid to the 3-level (limit). Not ideal,
but not the end of the world either.

Larry Lowell
Knoxville, TN, USA

I can't find my BW, I usually keep that issue handy for reference.
Mauro Casadei
2005-02-25 10:57:19 UTC
Post by l***@flash.net
Mauro, I have both publications. Tournament ACOL has Chapter 5, pg.
49-57 on the Bourke Relay with 15 example hands (9 lbs).
Thanks a lot Larry !
Post by l***@flash.net
The main loss is when responder has limit-bid strength and is not
strong enough for the Bourke Relay: now responder must choose between
2NT (limit) or raise openers rebid to the 3-level (limit). Not ideal,
but not the end of the world either.
One more question:
my plan is to use Bourke relay in a Precision context after a 1D opening
which may contain:
a) balanced hand with 2+D, 13-15 or 11-13 according to vuln/seat
b) max 15 hcp with 4+D, may be a canapè with longer clubs; it denies a 5M
suit unless 6D + 5M

So, the sequence would be:

1D:1M
2D:?

Here, 2oM would be Bourke relay.
Also, in our style, opener tends to raise responder's major with most 3 card
support.

Question 1
Do you think it is feasible ?

Question 2
How well does it fit with the folowing alternative meanings of 1D:2M
- strong jumpshift
- weak JS
- Reverse Flannery

Thanks

Mauro
Chris Ryall
2005-02-25 22:11:08 UTC
Mauro Casadei wrote on "Info on Bourke Relay"
Post by Mauro Casadei
my plan is to use Bourke relay in a Precision context after a 1D opening
a) balanced hand with 2+D, 13-15 or 11-13 according to vuln/seat
b) max 15 hcp with 4+D, may be a canapè with longer clubs; it denies a 5M
suit unless 6D + 5M
The relay works best with the minors. Over majors it can lead to some
clunky auctions on the way to NT contracts. So I play it over semi
natural 1C/1D but 2/1 over majors.

If you take the relay course you also need to discuss how responder
establishes a GF auction if opener DOESN'T make a simple rebid (ie 1NT
or new suit). It's a whole package.

The perfect Bourke is opposite 1C. Opposite 1D there is the tension
described between 2H-relay and a natural 5/4 major hand expression. You
can't have both.
Chris Ryall Wirral UK
Micha Keijzers
2005-03-14 23:48:45 UTC
Post by l***@flash.net
[...]
I play Reverse Flannery responses after 1D only because of the Bourke
relay. We do not need them after 1C. (Certainly not if you play a strong
club.) And also 1D-1S-2D-3H is specifically defined as an invitational 5-5.
Post by Mauro Casadei
Thanks
Mauro
Cheers, Micha
Nijmegen, Netherlands

Robert Park
2005-02-26 02:51:42 UTC
Post by Mauro Casadei
Mauro
Mauro, I have both publications. Tournament ACOL has Chapter 5, pg.
49-57 on the Bourke Relay with 15 example hands (9 lbs).
POINTS TO REMEMBER
1. When the opener makes a simple rebid in his suit, a rebid by
responder in the next available unbid suit is the Bourke Relay, an
artificial call, similar to 'fourth suit forcing'. It is forcing to
game and asks opener to describe his hand further.
2. Bids by responder which would otherwise have been limit bids become
forcing when preceded by the Bourke Relay.
3. When opener rebids his suit and responder jumps in a new suit (a
sequence such as 1C - 1s - 2c - 3d), this is a splinter bid.
Is this universally true? I thought that all 2nd round jumps by
responder were natural (and invitational if below game), except for jump
reverses (which are splinters) -- with the additional proviso that a
jump in the cheapest unbid suit is natural (i.e., never a jump reverse),
as that is the cheapest level at which that suit can be bid naturally.
l***@flash.net
2005-02-23 01:05:32 UTC
Post by Mauro Casadei
Hi all,
I am getting interested in the "Bourke Relay" and its variation, and I am
trying to gather the best possoible description.
1) an original paper by Bourke, published on the July 1996 issue of The
Bridge World; do you know if I can buy an electronic format, or if I have to
buy the hardcopy (long overseas delivery time to Italy, additional shipment
fees, bla bla... all feasible, but annoying :( )
The Bridge World is only available in paper. Bridge Today might have
had an article in the past. www.bridgetoday.com

Larry