The re-preempt
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-24 22:53:33 UTC
This is the one that the weaker players seem to do, opening three of something then raising themself to four. This strategy, although generally viewed as unsound, can pay off sometimes.

Game all:

7
K943
T976
J852

One of my worst hands of the evening.

N E S W
3S X
P 4H 4S X
AP

Partner must have a powerful hand to double twice, but even so, I think she is going to struggle in 5H, so decided to try for the penalty. This turned out to be the second doubled cold contract we gave the opponents that evening. The full layout:

A63
Q862
KJ
QT76
J8 7
AT74 K943
Q532 T976
AK3 J852
KQT9542
A84
94

I did expect a better hand than that opposite. We can just make 1H double dummy on these cards.

Despite this and one or two other niggles, we did win EW with 62.6%.
Douglas Newlands
2019-08-25 00:03:55 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
Partner's first double not clear.
She should be shot for the second one.
It seems clear to pass the second one from your side of the table.

doug
Kenny McCormack
2019-12-11 07:45:59 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
This is the one that the weaker players seem to do, opening three
of something then raising themself to four. This strategy, although
generally viewed as unsound, can pay off sometimes.
7
K943
T976
J852
One of my worst hands of the evening.
N E S W
3S X
P 4H 4S X
AP
Partner must have a powerful hand to double twice, but even so, I
think she is going to struggle in 5H, so decided to try for the
penalty. This turned out to be the second doubled cold contract we
A63
Q862
KJ
QT76
North should have bid 4S at his first turn.
I wonder if that would have changed the end result any.
--
I love the poorly educated.