Annoying teams hand
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-07-31 23:35:29 UTC
Random teams, game all against a pair of EBU grandmasters:

West
J32
K9643
K2
Q63

N E S W
1NT* 2D** P 2S
P 3S AP

*15-17
**Astro (spades and another), 5+-4+

I decided to give preference to spades, rather than ask what the five card suit was, as it was unlikely to be hearts, and possibly playing in a 5-2 fit in diamonds at the three level wasn't very appealing, and it loooks like a partscore hand. I just managed nine tricks thanks to a mis-defence. Still lost 11 imps.

The full deal:

T876
J8
AJ
AKJ72
J32 AQ95
K9643 AQT74
K2 Q875
Q63 -
K4
5
T9643
T9854

Unfortunately my assessment of the deal was completely wrong in all ways. Partner did hold a heart suit and we do have game on which was bid at the other table. North only had a 14 count and every other North is opening 1C (they are
playing a weak NT) which allows East an easy heart overcall or a takeout double. Partner has a choice to show hearts and a minor or spades and another, in the former case I will jump raise in hearts and we get there. What do you think?
Hotzenplotz
I cannot imagine playing any defence to 1NT which does not include 2C for the Majors. Given your methods, I believe 2S was correct.
Douglas Newlands
2019-08-01 02:05:25 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
West
J32
K9643
K2
Q63
N E S W
1NT* 2D** P 2S
P 3S AP
*15-17
**Astro (spades and another), 5+-4+
I thought the whole point of the Astro family was twofold in that
it could be 5-4 either way to give better frequency
and it's anchored to a major (which scores better at matchpoints)
rather than DONT, or the like, which is anchored to the minor and
might be regarded as not fit for purpose.
At teams, this is less of an objection because it doesn't matter
which partscore you play and, presumably, if you're reaching game
you will be able to identify any major fit on the way.
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
Partner should have bid 3H not 3S to help you evaluate your hand.
No problem after that!

Like the hottentot, I like 2C as both majors since it allows 5-4 into
the picture (greater frequency) and 2D can ask for longer major.
Whether this is the totality of your methods or you play 2D=6M
and 2M=5M+4m(or 5m) (multi-landy?) is not a huge problem.
The former is fine for teams where major games are what you are after
and the later slightly better for pairs where frequency of action
is more important.

doug
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-01 20:31:01 UTC
Post by Douglas Newlands
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
West
J32
K9643
K2
Q63
N E S W
1NT* 2D** P 2S
P 3S AP
*15-17
**Astro (spades and another), 5+-4+
I thought the whole point of the Astro family was twofold in that
it could be 5-4 either way to give better frequency
and it's anchored to a major (which scores better at matchpoints)
rather than DONT, or the like, which is anchored to the minor and
might be regarded as not fit for purpose.
At teams, this is less of an objection because it doesn't matter
which partscore you play and, presumably, if you're reaching game
you will be able to identify any major fit on the way.
Yes this is how I play it, 5-4 either way.
Post by Douglas Newlands
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
I like that structure, I have played something like that in the past. The one thing I don't like about Astro is that it tends to be a very good method of going off in a seven card fit, when the opponents would be going off in 1NT. It is rare to end up in a good fit when I have used it.

Is it worth having 2C as diamonds or both majors?
Lorne
2019-08-01 09:46:40 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
A better method if you like the Astro style is Asptro. It is the same
except both 2C and 2D can show both majors and you anchor to the shorter
one when you have both. In response you only bid the anchor major with
a 4 card suit or 3 cards and a singleton somewhere and overcaller then
bids their 5 card suit or passes with 5 in the relay suit unless good
enough to raise. This avoids playing in a 4-3 fit when you have a fit
in the other major, and on this hand you can bid 2H to show less than 4
spades and then you get to game as partner can raise.

With this method you can also respond 2N with a good hand and no known
fit, 3C pass or correct, 3D as a UCB in the known major and 3 of the
known major as a distributional raise with less HCP's than 3D.

As for you auction, why didn't partner bid 3H to invite game. It is
obvious that it will help you decide if you know the second suit.
Will in New Haven
2019-08-02 16:46:10 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
I think the key to the hand is partner's 3S bid. If he thinks the hand is worth trying for game, and I agree that it is, then what is the cost of bidding the other suit to give you more information? If you _knew_ both of partner's suits, pinpointing the shortness might be even better but showing the Hearts might be just as good and is better than 3S.
Will in Deerfield Beach
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-03 14:43:58 UTC
Post by Will in New Haven
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
I got back to my partner with that suggestion, and she realises she could have done than, and sounded disappointed she ahdn't thought of it at the time.