An unusual problem (part 2)
ais523
2020-02-10 20:56:05 UTC
Context: in a practice session, a hand came up in which, due to the
intersection of some artificial bidding systems, there was the
opportunity to play 1H doubled in a 3-3 fit with the balance of points
at matchpoints.

The consensus here, and one that makes sense, is that even though 1HX
making would almost certainly be a top, it's too risky to try for it,
especially with the ability to play in 1S (undoubled) with a known 5-2
and possible 5-3 spade fit.

It was only a practice session, though, meaning that we had the
opportunity to try it out and see what would happen, with nothing
actually on the line. The question is, how do you play 1HX on these
cards?

Dummy: S KT H K98 D K75 C K9862
Declarer: S A9852 H Q73 D AT96 C 3
Lead: H2

I tried declaring this and failed horribly. According to a computer
analysis, it can be made (with an overtrick!) double-dummy. I'm not sure
if it requires some sort of double-dummy magic, or whether there's an
actual path to make this even single-dummy, but I thought I'd set this
to r.g.b as a single-dummy problem to see if anyone has good ideas
(thus, I've hidden the opponents' hands for now).
ais523
John Hall
2020-02-11 10:51:35 UTC
In message <r1sg15$9d2$***@dont-email.me>, ais523 <***@nethack4.org>
writes
Post by ais523
[...]
The heart opening lead makes things harder, as it reduces the chance
that I can get some club ruffs in my hand. Assumes normal breaks, I can
hope for two spade tricks, two diamond tricks and at least one heart
trick, so I have a couple of extra tricks to find.

I play low in dummy. If RHO wins the Ace of hearts and returns another
to cut down on my ruffs, I'm up to six tricks. I'll win the second heart
in hand and lead a club. If the Ace of clubs is well placed, then the
King of clubs will be my seventh trick. If it's over the King, then no
doubt RHO will return a third trump (assuming he has one.) I could play
for split diamond honours now, setting up a third diamond winner, but no
doubt that would be ruffed and I'd still be a trick short.

That makes me think that it's better to win the second trump in dummy,
and then play King, Ace and a third spade, hoping to be able to ruff it
low (which probably needs spades 3-3) for my seventh trick.

If RHO plays low on the initial trump lead, I win the Queen in hand. Now
I'm still unsure of whether it's best to play on clubs or on spades.

Finally, perhaps it's best to forget about ruffs and try to clear trumps
apart from the 13th (I suspect I need hearts 4-3 to have much hope).
Then I can hope to generate six high-card winners in the side suits to
add to at least one trick in trumps.
--
John Hall
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come
Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
f***@googlemail.com
2020-02-25 19:06:26 UTC
Post by ais523
[...]
Not so hard to think of a layout where it makes 8 tricks, but that doesn't mean it's the winning double dummy line.

Give LHO something like Qxx Axxx Jxx Axx
Win the opening lead in dummy with the HK. Play K/A of spades and a ruff in dummy. Cross to the DA and lead a club up. Whether or not he rises you will make 2 spades, a spade ruff, two hearts, two diamonds and a club.