Interesting (and annoying) hand
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-11 16:29:37 UTC
green vs red, MPs:

North
KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6

N E S W
1H P P
X 2C 2S 3H
?

What now?

After a bit of thought, I punted 6S, after all, partner volunteered a suit and it looks like there will be little wastage in hearts opposite. The club finesse will be wrong but if partner has the spade ace, trumps can be drawn, diamonds cashed throwing club losers, and a couple of heart ruffs should bring the trick total to twelve.

Alas, it didn't work out like that. The full hands:

KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6
JT3 54
9754 AQT862
87642 -
5 KJ842
A92
KJ3
T93
T973

West leads a club which kills it (so would a diamond lead). Partner cannot throw all her club losers on the diamonds, so ended up losing two clubs for one down and a bottom (no-one else bid slam).

What is interesting is that 6S makes if I play it. If East leads a safe trump, I draw trumps, play one round of diamonds revealing East's void, then play a low club to the ten (or run the ten from dummy). East wins and is endplayed into giving me the 12th trick with the CQ or the HK.

I could theoretically have made a Michaels bid but wasn't sure where that would end up, so decided to go through the route of doubling then cue bidding to show a huge hand.

What would you have bid with the South hand after East's 2C bid?
ais523
2019-08-11 21:01:53 UTC
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
A92
KJ3
T93
T973
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
What would you have bid with the South hand after East's 2C bid?
2NT seems like a good option. I'm a lot stronger than I could be and
have hearts stopped, and it's a very notrumpy sort of hand. (I don't
need a club stopper because partner bid takeout of hearts, thus should
have something there.) The hand's strong enough to want to bid something
forward-going, but none of the suits are good enough to show.

Of course, this depends on partnership agreement (e.g. if 2NT shows a
stronger hand than this, you can't bid it).
ais523
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-08-11 21:07:48 UTC
Post by ais523
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
A92
KJ3
T93
T973
[snip]
I would have thought 2NT should be stronger than this opposite a takeout double in the protective position. I haven't at that stage told partner the double is based on a rockcrusher, rather than the typical takeout shape. I agree it is otherwise very descriptive of the hand in general.
ais523
2019-08-11 21:27:14 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by ais523
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
A92
KJ3
T93
T973
[snip]
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
What would you have bid with the South hand after East's 2C bid?
2NT seems like a good option. I'm a lot stronger than I could be and
have hearts stopped, and it's a very notrumpy sort of hand. (I don't
need a club stopper because partner bid takeout of hearts, thus should
have something there.) The hand's strong enough to want to bid something
forward-going, but none of the suits are good enough to show.
Of course, this depends on partnership agreement (e.g. if 2NT shows a
stronger hand than this, you can't bid it).
I would have thought 2NT should be stronger than this opposite a
takeout double in the protective position. I haven't at that stage
told partner the double is based on a rockcrusher, rather than the
typical takeout shape. I agree it is otherwise very descriptive of the
hand in general.
You're right, I forgot to adjust for that. (I'm used to playing with
pickup partners who don't upgrade their hand in protective position,
meaning in turn that I don't downgrade in protective-advancing position
when playing with those partners, but with most partners it's correct to
do so.)

In that case, I think I'd pass. If partner does have a strong hand,
they'll bid again.
ais523
Douglas Newlands
2019-08-11 23:08:44 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
North
KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C 2S 3H
?
[...]
I would describe my hand with Michaels.
The basic expectation is HHxxx each in spades and a minor.
I am two aces and good impletion in diamonds better than that so I will
making an upward correction to partner's bid.
The ace of spades and king of clubs are likely to be offside so I have
to worry about 3 black losers.
I don't think north will bid 3C.
Partner will bid 2S. He is worried about a loser in my second suit and 3
losers in hearts and a minor.
I will correct to 4S and will play there.

If his KH was a minor K, he will bid 2N to ask for second suit to
estimate the value of his king.
If it is in the second suit, he will bid 4S else he will bid 3S.

We are lucky it didn't go (1H)-P-(3H) to me.
Must ask partner if 4D now would be NLM as it would over a 3H preempt!
judyorcarl@verizon.net
2019-08-12 10:49:29 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
North
KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C 2S 3H
?
[...]
Is it ever correct to bid a 3-card suit freely in response to a nominally 3-suit takeout call?

Carl
Co Wiersma
2019-08-12 11:51:30 UTC
Post by ***@verizon.net
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
North
KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C 2S 3H
?
[...]
Maybe someone could come up with a hand and a bidding that we might
consider correct
But this hand sure is not the one /cry

Co Wiersma
Lorne
2019-08-12 16:09:22 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
North
KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C 2S 3H
?
What now?
I would bid 2H with N, showing spades + a minor (or if playing ghestem
whatever shows S+D).
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
Pass. N made a protective dble so no reason to suppose he has a good
hand - E might have a 19 count. Also freely bidding a 3 card suit is not
to be recommended.
Steve Willner
2019-08-22 22:14:38 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
KQ876
-
AKQJ5
AQ6
JT3 54
9754 AQT862
87642 -
5 KJ842
A92
KJ3
T93
T973
N E S W
1H P P
X 2C 2S 3H
?
After a bit of thought, I punted 6S
Slam will need a lot of help from partner: at least one of the black
honors and no more than six cards in the minors if the black honor is
S-A. That seems a lot to ask, so I'd just bid 4H for now.

A better question is why North didn't bid 2H in the first place. From
North's point of view on the first round, if the double is passed out
(on a different layout), is that going to be good? The cue will
probably work badly here, though, because South will end up playing
spades. 6D by North would be good, but I doubt it's reachable.
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
What would you have bid with the South hand after East's 2C bid?
All North has done is make a protective double. He could have a 4144
8-count or maybe less. I'd just pass the South hand. Presumably North
will then cue, South will bid NT, and NS will probably get to spades
played by North.