A rare problem
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-09-09 23:10:15 UTC
This hand came up with my novice friend (not playing with me) which proved to be a real problem:

MPs, no-one vuln

West
KQJ2
KJ4
AQ762

N E S W
2C* ?

*Strong, artificial

What do you do here?
ais523
2019-09-09 23:32:03 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
This hand came up with my novice friend (not
MPs, no-one vuln
West
KQJ2
KJ4
AQ762
N E S W
2C* ?
*Strong, artificial
What do you do here?
I think pretty much any bid would be misinterpreted as pre-emptive, so
you have to pass. Either S has a genuinely strong hand, or else S is
psyching. A genuinely strong hand is almost guaranteed to rebid 3D after
North's response, and you can double that for takeout (this surely has
to be interpreted as takeout because it can't logically be penalty).
Meanwhile, if S has psyched, then either they'll pass N's response (in
which case your partner will be aware of the psyche and you can
continue with 2NT naturally), or else they'll commit to the charade and
you can probably wait for them to reach a ridiculous contract and then
double them.

Depending on jurisdiction, it might also be worth checking on whether
or not the 2C might be lacking in defence. In the EBU, this sort of 2C
would have to have been alerted, and asking wouldn't look out of place
(I always ask what an alerted 2C means because Benji, reverse Benji,
only-strong-bid are all plausible, and showing a weak hand with a
specific suit is at least possible, thus not asking about the bid is
asking for trouble). In a jurisdiction where 2C is more certain in
meaning, you probably can't ask because you'd end up creating UI.
ais523
Douglas Newlands
2019-09-10 01:31:03 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
MPs, no-one vuln
West
KQJ2
KJ4
AQ762
N E S W
2C* ?
*Strong, artificial
What do you do here?
Pass smoothly. No problem yet.

doug
a***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-09-12 20:35:11 UTC
The novice was surprised by the opening, and didn't know what to do, and eventually bid 2NT. This was passed round to South who bid 3D, passed out. 3D went two off for a 20% score EW, the traveller was all over the place.

The full deal:

543
8532
6532
JT
KQJ2 76
KJ4 T97
A J97
AQ762 98543
AT98
AQ6
KQT84

EW can make 5C thanks to the fortunate club layout, although it is difficult to see how they get there after South opens. One pair did find 5C, and a couple of others ended up in 3NT, one making 11 tricks, the other making 7 tricks.
ais523
2019-09-12 20:54:24 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
If W had passed the 2C opening, which is what the consensus in this
thread seems to be, the auction would start (2C), P, (2D), P; (2NT), X.
Nobody's vulnerable, so if NS pass the double out, EW profit if 2NT goes
down at least 3, which seems pretty much inevitable on this sequence. I
don't think E will run here (no suits have been bid, so W's double is
penalty; E will probably assume that W is doubling due to a solid suit,
but has no reason to pull). It is, however, possible that N will run,
which would be the correct move given the actual layout, but I'm not
sure N has enough information to risk it.

S is taking a huge risk opening 2C with only 18 HCP (three of which are
a singleton K), so W needs to pass in order to be able to punish them
for it. W shouldn't care about making game after this start; the
penalty will almost always be worth more (except possibly at
unfavourable vulnerability). I guess a practiced NS partnership might
find the escape to 3D after the penalty double, but few partnerships
have agreed runouts after 2C, 2D; 2NT, (X=penalty)!

Incidentally, the actual bidding sequence gives another reason to pass:
in most bidding systems, South's 3D would force North to bid again. The
2NT bid adds confusion that increases the chance of the opponents
stopping low, which is the last thing you want in this situation. (If
West passes 2C, and North subsequently passes 3D, West is probably
justified in calling the director for misinformation due to lack of
alerts, as 2C or 3D or both would have to have a highly unusual meaning
for that sequence to be possible. With West's 2NT bid, the situation is
a lot less clear.)
--
ais523