OT: UK slang question
d***@yahoo.com
2012-04-19 20:25:41 UTC
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]

At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"

Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
John Hall
2012-04-19 20:43:18 UTC
In article
Post by d***@yahoo.com
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
With "loud". "Plough" is the British English spelling of "plow". I don't
know how it came to be associated with failing an exam. I think that
usage of the word has now become pretty much extinct.
--
John Hall
Johnson: "Well, we had a good talk."
Dr Samuel Johnson (1709-84); James Boswell (1740-95)
Henry Lockwood
2012-04-19 22:03:05 UTC
Post by John Hall
In article
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage".  I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book.  The word is "ploughed".  Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice).  [i.e.  Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
With "loud". "Plough" is the British English spelling of "plow". I don't
know how it came to be associated with failing an exam. I think that
usage of the word has now become pretty much extinct.
--
John Hall
I've not seen the word in the passive voice as slang. I've said "I
completely ploughed that!", similarly to "I carved that 6H, sorry".
At a guess, it derives from early aviation, when crashing into a field
was referred to as ploughing.

HenryL
David Stevenson
2012-04-20 00:47:46 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
I have never heard this usage.
--
David Stevenson Bridge RTFLB Cats Railways
Liverpool, England, UK bluejak on BBO Mbl: +44 7778 409 955
bluejak666 on Skype Bridgepage: http://blakjak.org/brg_menu.htm
Bertel Lund Hansen
2012-04-20 09:23:06 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Not that I mind your asking, but there are several good
pronunciation services available on the net. Most dictionaries
have one, usually marked with a speakersymbol:

http://dictionary.reference.com/
--
Bertel, Denmark
http://bridge.lundhansen.dk/
Lorne
2012-04-20 11:06:17 UTC
wrote in message news:8badc0b3-ccc4-4855-9b71-***@c4g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...

About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]

At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"

Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?

The English will plough a field whereas Americans will plow it - both words
pronounced the same.

But as other have said I have never heard it used this way.
Nick Wedd
2012-04-20 11:07:08 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
As others have said, it rhymes with "loud". Americans would spell it
"plowed" - as "the farmer plowed his field". The subject of "plough" is
the examiners, the object is the student.

The Oxford English Dictionary's oldest example of this metaphorical
usage is from "C.Bede" in "Verdant Green", published in 1853. So it
predates the invention of the aeroplane, and Henry Lockwood's guess,
though appealing, must be wrong.

This metaphorical use was, I think, dated when my father was at college
in the 1920s.

Nick
Jon Siegel
2012-04-20 12:02:26 UTC
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage".  I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book.  The word is "ploughed".  Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice).  [i.e.  Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
And while we're on the topic of mysterious British slang . . .

In 19th or early 20th century British writing (e.g., Gilbert &
Sullivan, A. Conan Doyle, P.G. Wodehouse), I've come across the
phrase, "he shot a fox." Judging from the context, it seems to mean,
"he did something bad in his secret past" and to be the equivalent of
the American slang "he has a skeleton in the closet." But why would
it mean that? What's so bad about shooting a fox?
Nick Wedd
2012-04-20 13:10:06 UTC
Post by Jon Siegel
And while we're on the topic of mysterious British slang . . .
In 19th or early 20th century British writing (e.g., Gilbert&
Sullivan, A. Conan Doyle, P.G. Wodehouse), I've come across the
phrase, "he shot a fox." Judging from the context, it seems to mean,
"he did something bad in his secret past" and to be the equivalent of
the American slang "he has a skeleton in the closet." But why would
it mean that? What's so bad about shooting a fox?
Because, if you are from that stratum of British society, foxes are
there to be hunted. By shooting one, you deprive other gentlemen of
their potential pleasure.

Nick
Fred.
2012-04-20 13:49:56 UTC
Post by Nick Wedd
Post by Jon Siegel
And while we're on the topic of mysterious British slang . . .
In 19th or early 20th century British writing (e.g., Gilbert&
Sullivan, A. Conan Doyle, P.G. Wodehouse), I've come across the
phrase, "he shot a fox." Judging from the context, it seems to mean,
"he did something bad in his secret past" and to be the equivalent of
the American slang "he has a skeleton in the closet." But why would
it mean that? What's so bad about shooting a fox?
Because, if you are from that stratum of British society, foxes are
there to be hunted. By shooting one, you deprive other gentlemen of
their potential pleasure.
Nick
I believe the word "vulpicide" means the killing of foxes by means
other than hunting with hounds. :-)

Fred.
David Stevenson
2012-04-20 14:21:14 UTC
Post by Jon Siegel
[...]
Good god, were where you educated? You don*t **shoot** foxes, that is
dreadfully plebeian approach.

You chase them with dogs and horses and watch the dogs rip them to
pieces.

<mutter> <mutter> colonials!
Steve Foster
2012-04-20 18:56:36 UTC
Post by Jon Siegel
Post by d***@yahoo.com
[...]
And in modern 21st century Britain, when hunting foxes is illegal, you
form the Fox Defence League (Upper Snottington branch), and then wonder
why all the hens you keep in the back acre are getting killed.
--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
richlp
2012-04-20 23:00:04 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
Agree with everyone else about pronunciation. I also like Henry's derivation because I'm reasonably sure I've read/heard/used the word as a verb meaning something like "Crash Into."

I've never heard it used the way Maugham does. To me, a person who is plowed is intoxicat.......intoxi...........drunk.
Andrew
2012-04-21 09:47:15 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book. The word is "ploughed". Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice). [i.e. Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
Plough has an alternative slang meaning today that is considerably more risque. (Hint it is a play on parallels between plough and furrow and certain components of male and female anatomy.)

As for the UK posters commenting on never having heard this usage, "Of Human Bondage" was written nearly 100 years ago. I am not surprised that the slang has moved on a bit since then.

A.
David Goldfarb
2012-04-22 08:49:28 UTC
Post by Andrew
Plough has an alternative slang meaning today that is considerably more
risque. (Hint it is a play on parallels between plough and furrow and
certain components of male and female anatomy.)
"Today"? I've just done a little research and turned up an example
of the word (or at least its Greek equivalent) used some 2500 years ago.
--
David Goldfarb |"Backward, turn backward, O time in your flight!
***@gmail.com | I've thought of a comeback I needed last night."
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- Dorothy Parker
Stu Goodgold
2012-04-22 18:27:32 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Andrew
Plough has an alternative slang meaning today that is considerably more
risque. (Hint it is a play on parallels between plough and furrow and
certain components of male and female anatomy.)
"Today"? I've just done a little research and turned up an example
of the word (or at least its Greek equivalent) used some 2500 years ago.
There's an unmistakable reference in Aristophanes' Lysistrata (411 BCE). Near the end of the play, in reference to the naked maiden Harmony, the Athenian says: I'd like to strip and get to plowing right away.
Post by David Goldfarb
David Goldfarb |"Backward, turn backward, O time in your flight!
David Goldfarb
2012-04-22 22:03:56 UTC
Post by Stu Goodgold
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Andrew
Plough has an alternative slang meaning today that is considerably more
risque. (Hint it is a play on parallels between plough and furrow and
certain components of male and female anatomy.)
"Today"? I've just done a little research and turned up an example
of the word (or at least its Greek equivalent) used some 2500 years ago.
There's an unmistakable reference in Aristophanes' Lysistrata (411 BCE).
Near the end of the play, in reference to the naked maiden Harmony, the
Athenian says: I'd like to strip and get to plowing right away.
My example was from the poems of Theognis, which are a little earlier.

The Greeks and Romans of course had a wide variety of metaphors and
euphemisms for sex and the sexual organs, just as we do.
--
David Goldfarb |From the fortune cookie file:
***@gmail.com |"You think that is a secret, but it never has
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | been one."
John Crinnion
2012-04-29 15:14:57 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Stu Goodgold
Post by Andrew
Plough has an alternative slang meaning today that is considerably more
risque. (Hint it is a play on parallels between plough and furrow and
certain components of male and female anatomy.)
"Today"?  I've just done a little research and turned up an example
of the word (or at least its Greek equivalent) used some 2500 years ago.
There's an unmistakable reference in Aristophanes' Lysistrata (411 BCE).
Near the end of the play, in reference to the naked maiden Harmony, the
Athenian says: I'd like to strip and get to plowing right away.
My example was from the poems of Theognis, which are a little earlier.
The Greeks and Romans of course had a wide variety of metaphors and
euphemisms for sex and the sexual organs, just as we do.
--
Messrs Goldfarb and Goodgold! What a pleasure to overhear your
classical thread! When I began playing in clubs a quarter of a
mind borderline autism. Ho hum.
d***@yahoo.com
2012-04-30 20:20:14 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Stu Goodgold
Post by Andrew
[...]
mind borderline autism.  Ho hum.- Hide quoted text -
Thanks to all who replied. I finished the book and have moved on.
John Crinnion
2012-05-02 14:42:15 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Stu Goodgold
Post by Andrew
[...]
Thanks to all who replied.  I finished the book and have moved on.- Hide quoted text -
Not so fast, sir!

(1) 'Plough' is pronounced to rhyme with 'cow'. But you were not to
know that: it could, for all you knew, have been pronounced to rhyme
with 'ruff'.

I once read a novel set among characters frequenting a pub called 'The
Plough', and the clique of characters used to jocularly mispronounce
it amongst themselves to rhyme with 'ruff' - so as to consolidate
their feeling of exclusiveness.

(2) I have never had a chance to explore the possibility that 'dough'
and 'duff' may at root be differently spelt and pronounced versions of
the same word.

(3) The title phrase 'of human bondage', referring to the emotions, is
taken from Spinoza's Ethics. I have never had time to address the
question whether there is any deeper connection between Maugham's and
Spinoza's books. Did your recent reading reveal any, I wonder?
Adam Beneschan
2012-05-02 15:14:25 UTC
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vivian.c/SpellHumour/RhymesComic2.htm

-- Adam
KWSchneider
2012-04-22 18:07:05 UTC
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage".  I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book.  The word is "ploughed".  Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice).  [i.e.  Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
From the OED

"8 University Slang. To reject (a candidate) as not reaching the pass
standard in an examination: a slang substitute for pluck in this
sense.'

As previously mentioned, it was first observed in Verdant Green in
1853. A use in the London Times in 1883 "My young friend was
undeservedly ploughed"

Kurt
Frances
2012-05-03 11:57:24 UTC
About a week ago, I started reading Maugham's "Of Human Bondage".  I
had a question about one of the slang words that shows up a few times
in that book.  The word is "ploughed".  Maugham uses the word as a
verb in the passive voice to mean failing a test or an exam(which is
the opposite of the American usages which are usually in the active
voice).  [i.e.  Phillip was ploughed vs. Phillip flunked]
At any rate, my question is "What is the correct pronunciation of
"ploughed"?"
Does it rhyme with "loud" or does it rhyme with "fluffed" or neither?
I realise you've moved on by now... but I was intrigued to notice the
same word used in a Dorothy L Sayers book yesterday, but in the active
voice ("I will plough my Schools next term...") [Schools being
special oxford slang for particular exams]
m***@gmail.com
2019-08-31 12:15:52 UTC
The American equivalent would be "crashed and burned." Both indicate failure by digging/ploughing oneself into the ground in a devastating way.
John Hall
2019-08-31 17:22:59 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
The American equivalent would be "crashed and burned." Both indicate
failure by digging/ploughing oneself into the ground in a devastating
way.
The expression is used in the UK too. No other slang term for that
immediately comes to mind.
--
John Hall
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come